Green Hotel Environmental Policies
Eco friendly tourism & sustainability are at the heart of all that we do at The Falls. We are lucky to be situated in one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland (and the world!), in the Cliffs of Moher & Burren UNESCO Geopark, and as a responsible business we believe it is our duty to protect this environment, click here for more information on the Geopark.
Carbon Neutral12 GreenMark
In March 2021, we were certified as a carbon neutral property by GreenMark.ie through Green Hospitality Ireland. The certificate states that; 'The hotel has achieved a carbon neutral status for Scope 1 & 2 and other direct emissions through the implementation of a comprehensive carbon reduction programme (Carbon Smart) , investment in energy efficiency, the use of renewable energy plus carbon offsets'. In a five year period, through our green initiatives, we reduced our carbon emmissions by approximately 90%. The moment you arrive on our 50 acre property, you are reducing your own carbon footprint!
We are running on Hydro Power!
- The Falls Hotel & Spa is a proud member of Green Hospitality and is dedicated to it's Green Hospitality Programme, developed to reduce the carbon footprint of the hotel, by reducing our water, waste and energy consumption.
- We produce our own renewable electricity through a hydro electric turbine on the river alongside us.
- Our gas is BioLPG from Calor Gas, a gas made from 100% renewable sources.
- We have a tree planting programme, whereby we plant trees on our property annually. So far, in 2021, we have planted 350 native Irish saplings. One tree offsets one tonne of carbon.
- We do not use plastic straws or cups
- We have two active beehives on our property
- We have cultivated wildflower gardens around the hotel
- We are members of the Burren Ecotourism Network, which focuses on protecting and maintaining the sustainability and promoting responsible tourism for the Cliffs of Moher and Burren UNESCO Geopark, where we are privileged to be located.
- We send e-invoices were possible to reduce the amount of paper that we use
- We have two electric car charging points here in the hotel for guests’ use
In 2021, we were honoured to win an award for Innovative Deployment of Renewable Energy in the SEAI Energy Awards. The SEAI Energy Awards were set up 18 years ago to showcase excellence in sustainable energy. They continue to highlight energy innovation across Ireland today. The SEAI Sustainable Energy Awards recognise and reward excellence in all aspects of energy efficiency and renewable energy. The awards are assessed by a distinguished, independent panel of expert judges. See below for more on our winning entry!
We were also delighted to win our category in the Clare Business Excellence and Resilience Awards 2021, we came out top in the Best Sustainable Paractices category.