Eco- friendly tourism & sustainability are at the heart of all that we do at The Falls. We are lucky to be situated in one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland (and the world!), in the Cliffs of Moher & Burren UNESCO Geopark, and as a responsible business we believe it is our duty to protect this environment, click here for more information on the Geopark.
Carbon Neutral12 GreenMark
In March 2021, we were certified as a carbon neutral property by GreenMark.ie through Green Hospitality Ireland. The certificate states that; 'The hotel has achieved a carbon neutral status for Scope 1 & 2 and other direct emissions through the implementation of a comprehensive carbon reduction programme (Carbon Smart) , investment in energy efficiency, the use of renewable energy plus carbon offsets'. In a five year period, through our green initiatives, we reduced our carbon emmissions by approximately 90%. The moment you arrive on our 50 acre property, you are reducing your own carbon footprint!
We are running on Hydro Power!
- The Falls Hotel & Spa is a proud member of Green Hospitality and is dedicated to it's Green Hospitality Programme, developed to reduce the carbon footprint of the hotel, by reducing our water, waste and energy consumption.
- We produce our own sustainable electricity through a hydro electric turbine on the river alongside us.
- Our gas is BioLPG from Calor Gas, a gas made from 100% renewable sources.
- We have a tree planting programme, whereby we plant trees on our property annually. So far, in 2021, we have planted 350 native Irish saplings. One tree offsets one tonne of carbon.
- We do not use plastic straws or cups
- We use chemical free cleaning products throughout the hotel
- We have two active beehives on our property
- We have cultivated wildflower gardens around the hotel
- We are members of the Burren Ecotourism Network, which focuses on protecting and maintaining the sustainability and promoting responsible tourism for the Cliffs of Moher and Burren UNESCO Geopark, where we are privileged to be located.
- We send e-invoices were possible to reduce the amount of paper that we use
- We have an electric car charging point here in the hotel for guests’ use
BURREN ECO TOURISM NETWORK
The Network aims to be a recognisable network of enterprises in the Burren, who have achieved independent accreditation, demonstrate ecotourism ‘best practice’, positively discriminate in each other’s favour, provide ‘one voice’ representation on issues impacting the Burren (where appropriate), and inspire conservation activism.
Members of BEN are committed to the promotion of responsible tourism that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people. We work together to promote ‘The Burren & Cliffs of Moher Geopark’ as a leading sustainable visitor destination, celebrated for high standards in visitor experience, conservation and learning.
For more information on the Burren Eco Tourism Network please Click Here